Monday, March 31, 2008

Another Canadian Gem.....

Only 11 more sleeps until Ryan and I head back to Canada for some homeland-recharge time, and what better time to recognize yet another of Canada's cultural gems?

Today's Canadian gem was actually suggested to me a couple of years ago by my astute and taste-full husband, Ryan, who discovered Canadian author and playwright, Roberston Davies while we were living in Vancouver.

I didn't actually start reading Davies' work until recently and thus far am only into the third novel in his Salterton trilogy, but already, I'm hooked. His stories are so contained and yet so delightful. His characters are wonderfully full and surprising and make for good companions during my daily escapist lunch breaks. (Plus doesn't he just look like someone you'd want to be your grandpa?)

Davies, who in his 82 years produced 11 novels, 11 plays and countless essays and literary critiques, is definitely a Canadian author that is worth checking out. His books, although generally grouped into trilogies, are fairly quick reads and can be read separately. Check him out (I know the library here in Columbus has copies of a lot of his novels) and be sure to let me know what you think!

No comments: