Monday, January 28, 2008

A Renewed Love of Music.....

So, Ryan and I recently jumped on an opportunity to be a part of a cd exchange that a friend of ours is doing here in Columbus! Basically, the idea is that you gather music that either came out during or that you discovered in 2007, make a mix of it that pleases you, design a cover for the cd complete with a track list, burn copies for everyone in the group, and then exchange, ending up with a burned cd of new music from everyone else participating.

The idea is simple and brilliant. We haven't even gotten to the exchanging part yet and already I am getting hepped up on the art of music. Ryan and I spent a few hours on Saturday compiling our list (which is gonna be pretty awesome if you ask me), and I was blown away at how much I love listening to new music. Each song that we shuffled through made me exclaim something like "This is so good" or "Why don't we listen to this more often?" or "music ROCKS!" And, while music may not make me eloquent, I must say that I think music is one of the best art forms for invoking this kind of response (at least for me).

And, I feel like this concept could be used more to get people sharing music and, maybe, finding new, good stuff, which could, hopefully, in turn give local, independent musicians a larger listener base. AND, make them some more money for their artwork (which is a word that I love, because art is work, too! Just because artists enjoy what they do, doesn't mean it isn't work. Excellence requires effort! Ok, rant over... ). I know that hearing songs on a mixed CD first makes me more inclined to go out and buy more stuff and support artists! So, we've already got a CD and if you want to share with us, let us know and we'll do a little mini exchange!

Three cheers for music!

No comments: